The culture was present at ComplexCon.
s I walked into the Long Beach Convention Center, I felt the energy. The culture was present. I felt at home. There was a mass combination of streetwear, art, music, and sports. I was amongst the dreamers, the creators, and the movers.
With Pharrell Williams and Takashi Murakami as host committee members, I knew this year’s ComplexCon would be one to remember. Murakami is Japan’s most famous contemporary artists.
Here’s a look at my top moments/favourites from the show.
- Nike gave “complexconies” the opportunity to create their custom Air-Force Ones to celebrate the legacy of the shoe, alongside Don C.
- Style icon and rap legend, Andre 3000 sketching in front of a live audience.
- Melody Ehsani’s “FUCKRACISM” coloured choker.
- Pintrill’s “Good Trill Hunting” pin treasure hunt and booth with Jansport.
- Fila x Sanrio collaboration brought back good memories from childhood.
- XQ Super School exclusively collaborated with Virgil Abloh on their branded bus, the XQ school bus. They are a company working to revise our thinking on high school and the current state of education. Colette, the Parisian clothing store, also, had curated a fun booth.
- Pharrell! Pharrell! Pharrell! His presence was felt on multiple levels this year. He sprinkled gems all around the Long Beach convention centre from his music to every single collaboration. His performance was amazing. There was a highly-sought after crewneck, printed in that classic BBC font. It read, “No One Ever Really Dies.” Also, his spirit was present at the G-Star Raw booth and through his new Adidas Human Race NMD TR Billionaire Boys Club sneakers. He is an inspiration to, and for the culture! Salute to a real pioneer who shined at ComplexCon.
Also, check out the photo gallery of live music from ComplexCon above. All photos provided Frank Morales.